Free domestic shipping for orders over $75
What size felting needle do i need?
How to chose the right felting needle
Felting needles come in many different varieties. They come in different lengths, shaft shapes, number of barbs, type of bard and shape of point. All of this can seem confusing but it doesn’t need to be. The first thing we must remember is that all felting needles are manufactured for high speed large industrial machines that makes a wide spectrum of products. Craftsmen and artist have adapted them for use as a hand-held tool. The technical names and terms have crossed over to the artist/craft community and sometimes need explanation. Below is a simplified description of each of the needles we sell. If you still have any questions, please contact us, we are happy to help.
Triangular Felting Needles - Barbs on 3 sides
- 32 Gauge Triangular – This is a course needles used for quick felting. It is not suitable for detail or smooth finished work.
- 36 Gauge – Also a course needle that can be used for quick felting. A good needle for attaching felted pieces together but not a good choice for finished or detailed.
- 38 Gauge – This is a good all-around needle. Think of it as a medium gauge needle. It can be used for bulk felting and some detailed work. Good for sculpting but not considered a “finishing” needle.
- 40 Gauge – This is a fine gauge needle for detail work and work that requires a smooth finish. Due to the lower number of barbs on this needle, it is not recommended for course fibers.
- 42 Gauge – The most “fine” needle we sell. Good for detail and smooth finish.
Star Felting Needles - Barbs on 4 sides
- 36 Gauge – The star needle has a forth face so it allows more barbs for quicker felting. The added face also makes this needle more suited to course fibers. Great for joining pieces together. Good for sculpting but not as suitable for details or finish work.
- 38 Gauge – Quicker felting than the same gauge triangular needle. Will work on course fiber as well as most fine fibers. Can be used for sculpting, detail and some finish work. Great all around needle.
Crown Felting Needles - 1 barb per side
- 40 gauge – This needle is used for very fine work. The most common use is to add hair or detailed fur to a project. Good needle for use on reborn dolls eyebrows, eyelashes and hair.
- 43 gauge – This needle is used for very fine work. The most common use is to add hair or detailed fur to a project. Good needle for use on reborn dolls eyebrows, eyelashes and hair.
Spiral Felting Needles - 2 barbs per sideSpiral needles have a "twist" in the lower shaft. This needles felts as well as twists the fiber making for quicker felting.
- 36 Gauge - Quick felting. A course needles suitable for bulk felting and joining pieces. Not suitable for finish work.
- 38 Gauge - Quick felting. Medium gauge needle. Best all around felting needles size. Good for bulk felting, sculpting, detail and some finish work.
- 40 Gauge - Quick felting. Fine gauge needle. Great for finish work