Pomegranate Extract - 8 oz
Pomegranate extract and powder comes from the rinds of pomegranates Punica granatum. It is high in tannin and improves the light and washfastness of any dye with which it is mixed. It can be used as both a dye and a mordant. The age of the fruit affects the color of the dye: the less ripe the fruit, the greener the yellow.
- Dye Amount: 5-8% WOF Extract, 15-20% WOF Powder
- Color:Soft yellows to green-yellows
- Light fastness: n/a
- Wash fastness: n/a
- Alum mordant at 15% WOF for protein fibers
- Alum mordant at 8% WOF for cellulose fibers
- Add extract or powder to a small container. Add hot water and mix thoroughly until all the dye material has dissolved or dispersed into the water. Add mixture to dye pot with fiber and enough water to cover the fiber being dyed. Simmer for approximately 1 hour. For best results, let the dye bath cool overnight.
- Color Variations
- Cement grey: Add ferrous sulfate
- Moss green: Add ferrous sulfate
- Brightened Yellows: Add turmeric. Also increases lightfastness